Monday, August 24, 2009

I'm loving her! (Book Review)


Anita Shreve that is! Seriously loving her. I bought A Wedding in December when I was getting married (in December of course!!) and couldn't get into it. When a friend suggested I try Body Surfing, I wasn't sure....I really disliked what I had read of A Wedding in December - I'm so glad AlliWilli is my friend and recommended Body Surfing because I LOVED it! Capital letters LOVED it! heh heh

But this review is about another one of her books - Testimony. I found this book a little slow to get into (warning the first chapter is graphic...very graphic - but it's just the first chapter, please don't let it make you put the book down) but wow...oh wow...oh wow...I loved this book and I think I loved it the most after reading the last chapter and this line from Rob: - crow, I already gave the book to my sister to read (yes that's how much I enjoyed it!) - I'll have to ask her to email it to me...it's a quote I believe I will keep in mind over and over again.

Sorry for the suspense - but basically the book is how an action on one person's behalf can cause a chain of events causing huge, possibly devastating circumstances for uncountable people...this is not a happy-book...in fact I would say it's tragic, emotional, fragile - these are words that come to mind.

The characters were set up so well...each chapter is written from the point of view of someone involved and I can tell you what they each look like, what they wear and how they speak...and yet the book did not drag with tons and tons of details (pet peeve!!!).

I read once that a bloggy friend felt that she went into almost a depression when she finished a book. I totally felt this after reading this book. I put it down and said to my Mum...these characters have been a part of my life for the last 6 days or so...how can I just pick up another book and forget about them?

Yes this book was great - Anita Shreve...I can't wait to read another book of yours! I'm thinking Pilot's Wife!

4.5/5 for Testimony by Anita Shreve

CaliAlly
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. They will be there for you again if you ever feel like a re-read. I love it when a book gets to you like that, hugely satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll really like The Pilot's Wife. Ok, i have to go get ready for work now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Anita Shrive... you should read these 3 books of hers in this order: The Pilot's Wife, Seaglass and Body Surfing... FAB. All set in the same house on the beach. Loves it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I put this book on my library list and just got the email today that it's ready and waiting for me! so I have one more book to read this week and when I finish it I'll go drop that one off and pick this one up and can't WAIT!!!! Thanks for the book review and suggestion! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete