Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Things that Make You Go Hmm... (Book Review)


I just finished "Love the One You're With" last night...at midnight! Yes it was one of those race to the finish, can't put down endings!

This book is about a woman who is happily married...or so she thinks until she runs into a former love from years before. It is the story of her emotional journey as she ponders something we all think about...LOVE. I enjoyed this book as much as I disliked it. However, the reason I think I disliked it was that it made me think...it took me back to past boyfriends, reliving a bit of the feelings incured in these relationships.

As far as chick lit go, I would say that this was one of the "heaviest" that I have read. I kept thinking it will get lighter, she'll get pregnant, something frivolous will happen...but no. It stayed on topic for the entire book.

I found myself not wanting to read more for fear of the woman's next actions...but then also found myself wondering if 5pm is too early to put Little Miss down for her nap so I could get back into my book.

The fact that this chick lit evoked so much thought and emotion (whether I liked it or not), in my opinioin, means it is a good book...I will give it a 4/5...and really it only is docked a point by the excessive details (get to the point already!!!!) - something I hate about books! As well as the fact that I'm not running out to my girlfriends saying "you HAVE to read this book" - but maybe it's because I'm protecting them from a few nights of very strange feelings and dreams!

4/5 for Love the One You are With by Emily Giffin

xoxo
CaliAlly

5 comments:

  1. Sounds almost like something to stay away from!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. almost!!! But don't get me wrong - a good read...just wow, brought up a lot of emotion in me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats what I would be afraid of Ally!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading this about a year ago... Whenever it first came out. I found it too depressing though. So I put it down and haven't touched it since.

    I LOVED The Time Traveler's Wife, though. It can be confusing to follow... But so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh I loved this book, but had the same reaction as you! So weird to go back to that type of place. Overall I was mild obsessed and pretty happy with the ending!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete