Monday, August 17, 2009

A Moment - Inside a WAHM's head...

A moment: I am a typical Work-at-Home Mum...only doing work or personal things while the little one is sleeping...all chores, etc (with the exception of making food) is done while Little Miss is napping and while she's awake I'm hers all day, every day (with the exception of when I'm teaching class)....I think that it's done out of guilt because I force her to sit in a stroller while I'm teaching or because during her naptime I'm doing work-stuff versus planning fun activities or events for her. However, I found myself wondering this morning - Does Little Miss know how to independently play?? And is it so bad if she sees me doing a few of my own things while she's awake?! I'm not sure what the answer to that is...yet. But what I did try this morning, after a nice long breakfast together, I grabbed a magazine and went and sat on the floor in the den and sure enough Little Miss went and grabbed a book and came and sat with me....well, I thought to msyelf, she's not asking me to read it which I guess is her being independent but she's still mimicking me...Hmm...I really am her everything!

And then it all changed! I suddenly found myself alone in the den reading an old copy of Self Magazine and the Little Miss was nowhere in sight. I raced into the kitchen and found her sitting on the floor, re-arranging the shelf that my Mum has reserved for her (her snacks, bibs, plastic bowls and plates, spoons, sippy cups, etc)...completely happy - completely independent!

Now don't get me wrong - I'm still an obsessed Work-at-Home-Mummy...but maybe one who will enjoy the occasional magazine article or chore done while (gasp!!!) the Little One is awake!!!!

xo
CaliAlly

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the dark side my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Independent play really is the holy grail. i sit on the floor with my kindle and watch the LM play cars. It usually lasts about a whole 5 minutes, but it is a pretty kick ass 5 minutes. Sometimes I wonder if I had twins would it be better because they would actually play together? Nah, I'm thinking then they would BOTH want something. I can;t wait for the day I can say ..."go play in your room while mommy makes dinner," and he does! A girl can dream can't she.

    xx

    ReplyDelete