Sunday, June 14, 2009

Certain Girls!


Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

I kid you not...it took me 2 weeks to read the first 170 pages or so and a few hours to read the next 170 or so. This was so slow for me in the beginning but it totally got my attention in the last half. I thought it took way too long to set the scene. This was a sequel to Good in Bed which I had read about 5 years ago (approx!) and Certain Girls can't making reference to things that happened in Good in Bed, but I couldn't remember all of the details so I was frustrated. Perhaps if you haven't read Good in Bed, it would just be a fun chick-lit...but as I mentioned I was frustrated. So if you are going to read Certain Girls, be sure to re-read Good in Bed or read them close together!

I think maybe I need a break from chicklit...this one just didn't do it for me....although I did find myself laughing and crying in the last 1/3 of the book...and I do love a book that evokes that much (and that varied) emotion.

Rating?? 2.5/5...maybe if I wasn't so frustrated at the references to the previous book, it would have got a higher rating...maybe!

xo
CaliAlly

3 comments:

  1. I think books that too long to get into are so frustrating - a good enging helps but I don't think you ever forget the battle to get there!

    Hope you are enjoying "The Reader" I read it in a day and then went and saw the movie after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying The Reader...but my book club is reading a different book, so I'm kind of "cheating" on The Reader and reading my other book...bad I know ;) I hate doing it!

    Anyhow, I will get both read this weekend I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book club starts up in July so I imagine Ill end up with the same issues!!

    ReplyDelete