Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Eating with the Seasons

Inspired by my good friend AN (oh how we miss you lovely), Family W has just signed up for Eating with the Seasons - and I cannot be more excited! It's the little things...especially when you are in a funk...little things make you happy?? You go with it!

Anyhow, with Eating with the Seasons, each week, the Little Miss and I will hop in our car after naptime and drive to our pre-decided pick-up, to pick up our Small Bag of fresh, organic fruits and veggies - locally grown of course! And each Thursday, bing, an email will pop into my email box with the "order form"...of course selection varies as to what is available and what the farmers have in season right now but I'm very excited to try new fruits and veggies.

I often find myself walking through my grocer, picking out the same ol' veg and fruits every week - a red pepper, spinach, a few tomatoes (or cherry ones if the Little Miss is with me), bananas, grapes...how boring! This Fall, we will be trying new squashes (who knew there were so many), cabbage and chard...zucchinis and yes more apples!

This really is the next best thing to growing my own veggie patch, in my mind!

To help me figure out what to do with all of these lovely new vegs (and some fruits), we've also signed up for Eating Well...hey, a girl can always use another magazine subscription, right DK??

Oh and this exercise has also taught me some patience...we were a week late signing up for the September start, so we are now having to wait until Oct 6 for our first pick-up...and let me tell you this CaliAlly is not good at waiting...for holidays, moves, babies, and definitely not Fruit & Veggie CSA!

xoxo
CaliAlly

1 comment: