Friday, March 27, 2009

Book Club!

Okay I was one of those gals who thought a Book Club was for geeks - yet I always had this little dream of starting my own book club. My dearest friend Dana suggested to me one day (about 6 years - can you believe it Dane??) we should start our own...I almost kissed her on the spot! And so began our Book Club...we would read a book (most of the time finish it...well I'd try at least) and then spend the rest of the meeting gossiping and snacking...we added more and more girls to it and by the end I think we had about 8 members...it was a lot of fun. But then I moved away and had to leave my Book Club behind...DK got preggers then the rest of the girls did the same pretty much...one went away to DC to school...the Club fell apart.

When I came to San Jose, I knew that I had to find a Book Club that was females only and that met on a weekday. Fortunately I stumbled upon one on Meetup.com that started in March 2008 and I joined in April 2008. My first meeting the author of the book we had just finished actually attended! JVK, the organizer, has done SUCH a great job with the club...when books have become movies, she's organized Movie Afternoons...and the best thing - we meet on a Friday during the day at a coffee house and the women that attend are of all ages, all walks of life...I love it! We may not gossip like my club back in Ottawa, but we are good companions and I realized today sitting at the meeting, I really enjoy having these women in my life.

Well this month we read Knit Two by Kate Jacobs (the sequel to Friday Night Knitting Club - which incidentally is becoming a movie with Julia Roberts playing Georgia - FUN). At the meeting today, JVK announces that the author is calling into our Book Club meeting...the big author...our little club?!?! How frickin' cool! So sure enough Kate Jacobs, called in around Noon and we got to ask her questions about the books she's written, ask when she's coming to Northern Cali for us to come to one of her book signings etc...she lets us know that she is sending each of a little label to stick in our book with her autograph and a personal note to us?!?!?

SERIOUSLY???? This is the coolest Book Club ever!

CaliAlly
xo

4 comments:

  1. OMG that's AWESOME! Maybe I should ask Katrina Kittle if she wants to fly out to Colorado go to for a run with the Running Bookclub I just started?!! HA! :) You would love this, Ally... we read 'The Kindness of Strangers' (fabness) and then are having our first "meeting" on Saturday the 4th and our meeting will consist of chatting about the book while running/walking/jogging down the Highline Canal Trail in Denver!!!! Fun way to combine 2 of my favorite things, running outdoors with friends, and reading! Loves it! :) Enjoy your book club and share any good reads... I'll do the same! MUUUAAAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cool. i miss book club. i miss reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. I'll have you know that due to this post, I actually emailed Katrina Kittle, the author of the book we read in my group and she emailed me back! She will answer ANY questions we may have! YAY! Thanks for the inspiration, Mrs. W. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's awesome alliwilli...Dana, I miss Book Club too...and you xo

    ReplyDelete